unlimited domain web hosting
Discussion forums relating to Web Design and Development
Transferring a domain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Web Design and Development Community Forum Index -> Domain Names
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jangla
New User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Transferring a domain Reply with quote

First a little background so you can better understand my problems and frustrations! Laughing

I've set up a web site for a friend and it's hosted with everyman. He has another web site created some time ago which was created, registered and hosted with someone else.

Now he wants to move it to my hosting solution.

Initially I was given the current guardian's email address and contacted him to ask him how he wished to proceed. He asked for the DNS ip address. I contacted everyman support and was told he only needed the nameservers. I passed this back and the guy threw his toys out the pram.

Now he wants to transfer the domain. Here's his latest email to my friend:

Quote:

The situation is very simple.

In order to transfer your domain I first need to receive an automatic email from your new domain registrar asking me to transfer the domain. Until now I did not receive anything.

I really have no interest at all to keep your domains in my wallet, it even costs me some money so... please don't blame me for the failure of your new registrar like you did already with your new hosting company. When the hosting company provided me with the necessary information then the DNS were changed in due course and it will be same for the domains but I first need to receive the proper request from the new registrar otherwise I cannot do anything...

A thoroughly pleasant chap as you'll no doubt guess. Most of the crap he's ranting about is complete tosh.

Anyway, how do I know proceed to get this domain transferred over to my side of things and take over the hosting of the site? I've seen stuff mentioned about eNom but it's not something I've used before and it seems to be for people wanting to transfer a domain they already own.
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for posting this, sorry to hear of your friend's troubles but it does and can happen where domains are concerned.

It would be best for him to transfer the domain and take the 'difficult' person out of the picture all together.

To do this you would simply need to order a domain transfer from our order page (this starts the process), please go to https://www.everymanhosting.com/sales/order/orderwiz.php and select the Transfer My Existing Domain option. You'll have the opportunity to use your billing username and password during the order process so that you can have the domain added to your billing account.

Please note that for .com .net .biz, etc domains the transfer cost is 1 year's renewal of the domain and that charge will be shown on the invoice which needs to be paid for the order to proceed. This also adds another year of registration to the domain, so the transfer is effectively free.

There is one exception to this, which covers .uk domains, which are free to transfer if there is more than 3 months left on the current registration. If there is less than 3 months left then it costs 2 years renewal to transfer.

These charges are unavoidable and are incurred by the registrars, we have no control over this.

Once the domain is transferred, then you can go ahead and add it in your control panel using the addon domains link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiple Domain Hosting Plans ~ Domain Name Registration ~ Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jangla
New User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me Mat.

One last issue - is there any way of changing my logon credentials? I've never had to use it before (only had to use the control panel login) and can't remember it. It seems to be different to all of the usual combinations I would have used and I've failed to find any details of the logon credentials in my email archives.
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of-coure you can, but please email support with details of your preferences, it wouldn't be a good idea to detail those here Wink

Just one last thing, have you asked support for your own Enom retail/reseller account? They are free to set up you know and offer highly discounted domain registration/transfer rates Wink

Multiple Domain Hosting Plans ~ Domain Name Registration ~ Support
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: