unlimited domain web hosting
Discussion forums relating to Web Design and Development
Nameservers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Web Design and Development Community Forum Index -> Domain Names
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buddeeboy
New User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Nameservers Reply with quote

Hi,
I have the same problem as the Dude and wondered if anyone can help.
My site is hosted by onlinewbtraders.co.uk but I can't find anywhere in my control panel to change the nameservers.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Ps How do I change my username for this forum??
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people you are currently using do not appear to have a domain management interface, they are likely to be a reseller of someone else's service such as Enom. You must ask them to change the nameservers first then ask them if they use someone like eNom and if so could they push the domain to your own eNom account. If it is eNom that they use then please ask support (here) to create your own eNom retail/reseller account for you and then ask the current domain agent to push the domain to the account created for you.

However, I see that their own domain is registered through godaddy, so you can still ask them to do the same, but you can create your own godaddy domain account then ask them to push the domain to that account. Note: to push a domain is not the same as to transfer a domain, to push is to move from one account to another with the same registrar.

Can you let me know the username you prefer and we should be able to get that changed for you Wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiple Domain Hosting Plans ~ Domain Name Registration ~ Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buddeeboy
New User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mat,
Could you change my username to "Buddeeboy"?

With regards to the nameserver thing, I think I could have some problems here! I contacted onlinewebtraders and asked them to point my domain name to everymans servers explaining the reasons why and this is the rather curt reply that I received:

"The websites we supply have got to be hosted by our company".

I don't know if they missed the point but am I right in saying that pointing the domain to a different nameserver doesn't mean that I'm changing hosting companies?

I'm going to contact them again but thought I'd clarify this with you first!

Thanks again for your help. Smile
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound like a very small operation who doesn't like to let their customers go. At the end of the day if the domain registrant is you then they have to do this for you.

The other option is to transfer the domain but again so long as you are the registrant then if we initiate a transfer then you will be emailed by the registrars asking if its okay to allow the transfer and it would be transferred ok. To do that you would need to go to the order page and use the transfer domain option, it costs a year's renewal and a year is added to the domain once it is transferred.

Transfers are usually completed within 24 to 48 hours.

What is the domain name a a matter of interest?

Buddeeboy
New User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The domain is deals24.biz

The domain name is mine but the website is supplied and maintained by the hosts obviously for a fee, so I understand that they have to host the site but don't see what the problem is with pointing the domain at a different server! I've put in a search request at Tucows and they supposedly were going to email me details of the domain including the registrar but so far I've not received it, maybe you'll have more luck!
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name has been changed for you.

If they still wont budge on this, then create your own account with godaddy (tucows) and ask them to push the domain to your own account, if they will not do that then godaddy may help as I see you are the registrant/technical and billing contact (see http://whois.domaintools.com/deals24.biz). If you have no success there, just order the transfer and we'll initiate it, you will get emailed asking you to allow or disallow the transfer, once allowed it will transfer very quickly.

Unfortunately there are some less scrupulous hosts/domain agents out there and you happened to have been with one before coming here Wink

Buddeeboy
New User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mat,

I've just created an account with godaddy but before I transfer my domain to them can you just clarify this for me?

By transfering to godaddy I'm only moving the domain name and my website remains with the hosting company?

I've never done this before so it's all new to me!
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the domain to go to your godaddy account you need to ask for it to be pushed, if they will not pusht eh domain contact godaddy support and tell them they will not do it and ask them to do it for you, it is your domain you have the right. A pushed domain does not incurr a cost. If you want to transfer that will cost 1 year renewal.

Idea Go for the push option

Buddeeboy
New User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks,

I just read your earlier post and understand now what you've been saying! Just mailed online webtraders again and pretty much told them exactly that.
I don't expect a response until monday but hopefully they will get the point! If not then i'll get onto godaddy and get it resolved.
Really appreciate your help with this and I'll let you know what the out come is!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: