unlimited domain web hosting
Discussion forums relating to Web Design and Development
How to publish your web site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Web Design and Development Community Forum Index -> Coding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unregistered
New User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: How to publish your web site Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a good knowledge of HTML but I do not know how to edit my web site or sub domains, please can you help me with this?
Mat
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Getting started with your new web hosting Reply with quote

Hi, no problem.

The first thing to note is that you will find a generic 'this site is awaiting publication' page set as your home page in your new web hosting account.

This page is a file called index.html, you simply need to replace this with your own index.html

Note also that web servers look for index pages in the following order, first it will look for index.html, if that is not present then it will look for index.htm and if that is not present it will look for index.php (.php extensions are for files written in PHP and HTML code).

So, if you are publishing a page called index.htm then you must delete the generic index.html page for it to become visible when visiting your domain (i.e. http :// www . yourdomain . com)

Next we need to understand where the web pages are stored for your site visitors to see. The index.html file is stored in your public_html folder, as are all other web pages that are to be visible to visitors. Other pages can of course be stored in sub folders, where the address of such pages would be http :// www . yourdomain . com / subfolder / pagename.html

Images is another important issue, and they are normally stored in a folder called images in your public_html folder (which is already there when your account is set up). So simply place your images in there and use the appropriate html code to use them within your web pages.

As far as sub domains are concerned, the same conditions exist for them, except that everything for each sub domain is stored in a folder specifically for that sub domain in your public_html folder. You set the name of that folder when you set up your sub domain in your control panel.

I am assuming that this is going to be an ongoing guide, so I will leave it at that for the moment and wait for further queries to continue this walk through. Just post your question and we'll attend to it.

Smile

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiple Domain Hosting Plans ~ Domain Name Registration ~ Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: